The Spanish property crash and 1929. With an anecdote of a frustrated rural hanging.
Thatcher on Andreotti, but may be thought to apply closer to home.
Why the mob may want to consider murder and mayhem. With apologies to the Archpriest of Hita.
But still no solution to my question as to which travelling geo-entrepreneur copied the name of Santa Fe from the County of Barcelona to the Kingdom of Granada. I am not sure Santa Fe agrees with me or with having Reconquista romances recited from its church steps, but I'm rather fond of Granada itself, and [...]
Obese Peruvian male midget standing texting in c/ Robador in front of a poster which in English says: "Going to the Filmoteca? I am a sex worker. Respect my rights!" The coppers have had the street in general, and two buildings in particular, in lockdown for a while now, and men are being fined €1000 [...]
Das Scroll und Scream Kitschin' Kabinett des Dr Kalebeul
- Chordi: Detalles de las tiendas de antaÑo
- Beachcombing: A Bugged Conversation from June 1945?
- Andrés Trapiello: Completa
- Tristán el Subastero: Nuestros ronquidos
- Chordi: El cielo siempre estÄ abajo
- Norman Geras: Facing down atrocity with humanity
- Colin: Santiago at last!More fotos. Captions later:-
- Norman Geras: Spiky, memorable, catchy
- Art Goldhammer: Il ne faut pas désespérer Billancourt
- Norman Geras: End of an era - this time
- Margaret Marks: How to avoid huge ships and other amazon reviews
- Josu Mezo: Un mapa absolutamente inútil
- Josu Mezo: Ilusiones cognitivas: confundir rachas con tendencias
- Margaret Marks: The Independent should be ashamed of itself/Ich bin ein Berliner
- Wired Science Staff@Wired: Wired Space Photo of the Day: Supermassive Black Hole Jets
- Brer Rabid: "pseudo-historic revisionism, ... pack of lies and bullshit, ... Catalanophobe resentment of Spanish nationalism (past and present) apologist"
- Don Colin: "gnomic"
- The Pox: "Franco's Little Helper"
- La Vanguardia wonders whether Kalebeul is a CIA operation
- Mark Liberman: "a treat"
- Significant other: "What was that hairy weirdo on about? What blog?"
Recent book recommendations
- John Kenneth Galbraith's The Great Crash, 1929 in the post Boom and bust suicide myths
- Manuel Chaves Nogales's La agonía de Francia in the post On the other hand...
- Giovanni Boccaccio's The Decameron in the post Brazilian pastor to his flock (f): "My penis emits sacred milk"
- From my street organ YouTube reel:
- Country of belated marvels. An anthology of Spanish industrial culture.
- Make a donation to anti-nationalist political parties Unión Progreso y Democracia or Ciudadanos, or to the world's best music station, WFMU.
- Barcelona budget booze base
Trebots survived a 12%, €2.05 red by Bodegas 1890 (Jumilla) from Eroski.
- Bicing-mobiles at Torrent de les Flors:
- Available at 07:30:
- Global mean availability: 0.9
- Iterations: 81412
Answer here. A reminder: my organ no longer appears in this feed, so subscribe over there if you want to keep up-to-date.
- Why I’m blogging less
- Visita a una escuela de primaria de Barcelona
- El gran problema de los pequeños órganos
- Iberian debut of a classic paranoiac Dutch neither-nor motif?
- Why the bloody Christians should keep the Cordoba mosque
- The organ feed will no longer syndicate here
- Three user strategies in response to Bicing’s failure to devise an adequate redistribution model
- Bocadillo organillo
- Ngram: afternoon nap vs siesta
- Foreign names: Kohlhaas -> Kholhaas
- Brazilian pastor to his flock (f): “My penis emits sacred milk”
- Is Javier Cercas a necromancer?
- Temps de la picor
- Por qué (modestia aparte) el Organillero será un componente indispensable de cada fiesta de calidad este verano
- Spanish family given jail terms for camouflaging their house in order to avoid eviction
- Are beards all that remains of the Movimiento 15-M?
- Pig shoots wrong pig
- More video
- Introducing the (Barcelona) budget booze base
- The 1903 Paris-Madrid race that got away
- The Montreal Gazette takes a swing at particle dynamics
- Zend for the waiter
- Karlheinz Stockhausen, “one of the most important … composers of the 20th and early 21st centuries”?
- Bankia says sorry
- Why the name “Bankia”?
- Beyond spacetime
- Comments at ABC
- Rajoy’s labour market reforms
- El gazmoño del patriarca
- Good news for Russian mafiosi looking for a safe house in Barcelona
- Historians who make stuff up, novelists who can’t novelise
- Brilliant online Spanish eco-wholefoods supplier
- If colonial Spain was led by Don Quixote and post-colonial Spain by Sancho Panza, who’s in charge now?
- For a change, some German eurosceptic ranters
- They want our money but they don’t want our participation
- Der Führer and I: misinterpretation as a smart career move
- Fahrenheit 451
- Manga monster in a Tarragona wood
- Male genital depilation and the End of the World
- How the Ferrocarril de Sóller, Mallorca acquired an 80-year-old train, let it rust, and sold it for scrap
- Comer chez el Agüelo
- Spaced out
- Why are the bulk of misspellings of Samuel Johnson (Jhonson) by South Asians and Spanish speakers?
- Patrick Leigh Fermor on taking a town for the first time
- The essential problem isn’t SOPA but copyright law itself
- English proficiency of the Spanish relative to other nations
- Pisa bar fined €1000 for charging Spanish tourist €26 for 3 * (coffee + brioche)
- Alfonso XII, the lost king or a titty-crazed joker?
- Galician gastronomy for people with false teeth, cats and dogs: chack it out!
- Drone target: La Voz de Barcelona
- This one’s going to run and run
- Needed, a ballad for the Olli Rehn empire
- Barcelona T10 price inflation vs general consumer price inflation
- My tribute to the Marquis of Tàpies
- Revealed, the identity of the horny apparition in the story of St Benedict, the blackbird, and the nettles
- Fua vs Hoe
- Facebook: if you form a civil partnership you must be gay
- An interpretation masterclass from Les Luthiers