I transcribe this cartoon (whose conservative objects are to continue to deny the right to benefit from Spanish-language public services, and to maintain a disastrous system of education):
Artur Mas [regional president]: Jo m'encarrego de que no sigui pública...
Wert [the PP's fall-guy/buffoon national minister of education]: y yo que no sea en catalán!
The Dutch version of this dual conspiracy theory I know from old left-wing jokes, for example this, from the (ex-)textile mills of Enschede and neighbouring Gronau:
A new priest has been appointed to a factory district, and immediately sets about educating his parishioners with a view to improving their lot and generally creating some kind of mini-North Korea on earth. This worries the local foe of virtue and factor of all evils, who gets the cleric round for Sunday lunch and says, "Look, we've got a perfectly functional system here, and it works like this: I keep them poor, and you keep them stupid."
Does this two-horned monster exist in other languages? Is Carlos Portonostro its Spanish introducer?
Like the cartoon, much of the content of Cafè amb llet is what I would regard as more-or-less fascist - hyper-nationalist and -nationalising - but I support it simply because of its assaults on the particular branch of the Catalan oligarchy which, wrapping itself in the flag, has plundered the region for the past few decades. The pre-modern nature of some areas of Spanish law led to it recently being fined €10K for publishing details of corruption and embezzlement, despite a clear public interest defence, because these damaged the honour of one of those involved.
- Artur Mas (3) Artur Mas i GavarrÃ³ is a Spanish politician.
- José Ignacio Wert (2) JosÃ© Ignacio Wert Ortega' is a Spanish politician.
- The Mirror for Magistrates (1) The Mirror for Magistrates is a collection of English poems from the Tudor period by various authors which retell the lives and the tragic ends of various historical figures.
- Foreign names: Kohlhaas -> Kholhaas
- Brazilian pastor to his flock (f): “My penis emits sacred milk”
- Is Javier Cercas a necromancer?
- Temps de la picor
- Por qué (modestia aparte) el Organillero será un componente indispensable de cada fiesta de calidad este verano
- Spanish family given jail terms for camouflaging their house in order to avoid eviction
- Are beards all that remains of the Movimiento 15-M?
- Pig shoots wrong pig
- More video
- Revolutionary communism in Puigdalba, alive and … well
- Fried pigeon egg for breakfast
- St Sebastian vandalised by removing his arrows
- Su cuenta será Short Down
- One problem with escraches
- The French left is better off than the Spanish right
- Oriol Pujol imputed in the vehicle inspection case because of fucked translation?
- Outsourcing conscience
- Karlheinz Stockhausen, “one of the most important … composers of the 20th and early 21st centuries”?
- The Germans agree to save the euro – but no one’s told them yet
- Castilla y León -> Catalunya
- Site with the salaries and allowances of Spanish public officials
- Whenever I see The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, I think of Alphonse Laurencic
- Ara.cat uses poor English to criticise schoolchildren’s poor English
- Investment is a simple game
- Turismo de Mojácar: we shit on customer opinion
- Mega-rich businessmen who don’t pay translators
- Hic est bosun
- Video of functional organ-MIDI set-up
- To rent, one sandwich
- Creative pyromania
- The invisible ethnicity of Inspector Richard Tanner of the Met
- Think this is a Picasso?
- Push, empujar con cariño
- Arabitch bath
- What to do about the miners
- Free walk west from Gatwick to Ockley station, for trains to London and south
- Hammer horror!
- Needed, a ballad for the Olli Rehn empire
- Fua vs Hoe
- Automated caching of helpful intros from Wikipedia
- A gym called Anthrax
- 9-bed C19th century mansion on Montjuic for €210k
- "Placed with an international criteria in the market", but to whom does this refer?
- Drone target: La Voz de Barcelona
- Alfonso XII, the lost king or a titty-crazed joker?
- How the Ferrocarril de Sóller, Mallorca acquired an 80-year-old train, let it rust, and sold it for scrap
- My tribute to the Marquis of Tàpies
- Facebook: if you form a civil partnership you must be gay
- Pisa bar fined €1000 for charging Spanish tourist €26 for 3 * (coffee + brioche)
- Galician gastronomy for people with false teeth, cats and dogs: chack it out!
- Question about diachronicity, dreams and nationalist historians
- Annals of curious municipal arithmetic, part whatever
- Comer chez el Agüelo
- Male genital depilation and the End of the World
- Catalan bastards
- Spaced out
- Patrick Leigh Fermor on taking a town for the first time