Why I’m blogging less

It's not just because no one comments.

Trebots @ Wednesday February 27th 2013 17:46

1. I got rid of my home internet connection, which I loathed, and repossessed my brain from Google.
  2. I'm writing a lot of music.
  3. I'm writing lots of words, and getting together a draft of this, which appears to have found an industrial sponsor.
  4. I always used to read quite a lot, but since I killed internet and bought a Kindle things have started getting serious. People recommend things and if I wake up at 4 in the morning, I just read the buggers. In the last few days:
    • Chaves Nogales A sangre y fuego (h/t), the best contemporary Civil War writing out there, apart perhaps from Baroja's Miserias de la guerra. (See also.)
    • The memoirs of the great Argentine poet and toxic dwarf, Yo soy el Diego. I'm not being ironic in the slightest when I say that this is a narrative and above all a linguistic delight: one of his trainers "wouldn't have seen a cow in a bath", "Lo quería el Barcelona, / lo quería River Plei, / Maradona es de Boca, /¡porque gallina no es!", the encounters with Barça president and crook Núñez...
    • Labordeta Memorias de un beduino. Should have considered a career in football with a view to employing Maradona's ghostwriter? A lovely man - ex-pupil FJL agrees - but this is embarrassing.
    • & as an antidote to all that macho stuff, Hitch, splendid queen of the English secular establishment, God is not great.
  5. I'm getting out a lot more than in the last few years. Off to see the gent with the 'toos Friday night:

Work's still going fine and no ear op date yet, since you ask. I think the surgeon's off skiing again, and I'm getting so used to singing in public without being able to hear very much at all that, with summer coming up, I'm wondering whether I shouldn't postpone.

• José Antonio Labordeta (1) José Antonio Labordeta Subías, described by The Gran Enciclopedia Aragonesa 2000 as “The most important Aragonese singer-songwriter”, began singing in an attempt to give more relevance to his poetry. His songs are anthems, not only in Aragón, but all around Spain. Poetic songs like “Aragón”, “Canto a la Libertad” or “Me dicen que no quieres” are known all around the Iberian Peninsula.
  • Josep Lluís Núñez (1) José Luis Núñez Clemente, often known by the Catalanized form of his name used by the Catalan press, Josep Lluís Núñez i Clemente, was president of FC Barcelona between 1978 and 2000. Núñez used to own the Núñez i Navarro construction company and Núñez i Navarro Hotels chain. He was elected club president on 1 July 1978 despite having no previous connection with the club. His main objectives were to establish Barça as a world class sports club and to give the club financial stability.
  • Manuel Chaves Nogales (2) Manuel Chaves Nogales was a Spanish journalist and writer, an enthusiastic supporter of the Second Spanish Republic and friend of the new President Manuel Azaña.
Categories: Les bourgeois, Music, Poets

RSS: post comments / blog comments / blog posts / email / Twitter

You can leave a response or trackback from your site.

1. Colin
    February 27th 2013 20:47

Best of luck, Trevor. This was one of your easier-to-understand posts . . .

2. Candide
    February 28th 2013 16:03

If your brain ever grows fond of mitosis, I'd like a copy, please. Not as a substitute, mind, but as a handy extra.

3. MM
    February 28th 2013 16:58

Thanks for the info. Yes, I understood that too - more please!

4. Trebots
    March 1st 2013 14:08

@Candide: Didn't know cannibalism was your thing.

5. Justin Roberts
    March 1st 2013 23:21

Wena suerte with the off-grid. Google is noxious and way too useful all at once...

6. Candide
    March 3rd 2013 17:29

@Trebots: I'll leave it intact, no worries.

7. looby
    March 23rd 2013 00:08

My internet broke once, at the same time as I lost my mobile phone. It was quite a relief actually, although people think you're just being rude after a while.

I read far less now than when I worked on the railways, in which there was many a five, ten, thirty minutes free to crack on with something. Now, I go alt-tabbing all over the place. It's like the new masturbation--satisfying, with slight regrets afterwards.

8. trebots
    March 23rd 2013 19:01

If I could crack the reading habit as well, I could do something really useful, like go down the pub.

9. kalebeul » United Reform Church FC
    May 17th 2014 11:58

[…] was a time for Diego but Alex doesn't deserve quite as much. Maradona's "auto"-bio is glorious stuff, and who cares if […]

Book recommendation

Buy A sangre y fuego or other books by Manuel Chaves Nogales. You pay the same, this blog gets 5% commission.

More book ideas here.

Check the cheap second-hand books over at the Librería del señor licenciado Pero Pérez - get 'em before he burns 'em.

Música en vivo para fiestas infantiles y geriatricas en Barcelona

Canciones, bailes, juegos y cuentos por cantante y pianista en inglés y castellano. (También organillo de calle.) Modus operandi: sublime y ridiculisimo. Repertorio: Cri-Cri, Ivor Cutler, extravagancias latinoamericanas de los 40, anuncios africanos de los 50, Tom Lehrer, Kurt Schwitters, bordados avanzados, etc. Contacto aquí.

Original scores and arrangements

Check out the musical services I provide over at Oreneta.com, as well as my barrel organ project.

Pordiosería

If you're feeling generous, check out my Amazon wishlists for Deutschland, France , and the UK, or use PayPal to

Picture-posts